We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Apples are very healthy fresh. But in winter, not every variety will even last until the New Year. And those beautiful fruits that lie on store shelves until next summer are usually treated with chemicals for long-term storage. Housewives try to make preserves, jams, juices, compotes from their favorite varieties of apples. But only pickled fruits can replace fresh fruits.
Therefore, apples have been soaked for a long time, preserving useful substances in them and surprising guests with the amazing taste of their favorite fruits.
There are many recipes for steeping apples, and they all attract with their ease of preparation, as well as the composition of useful ingredients.
What is not added when soaking apples! These can be herbs (lavender, basil, thyme), spices and herbs (even exotic), leaves of fruit trees and shrubs (cherries, currants, apple trees), mustard, honey, alum, flour, cabbage. You can list it for a very long time, but I would like to dwell on the merits of pickled apples.
- The fruits can compensate for the deficiency of many vitamins in winter. At the same time, their taste becomes more piquant. They resemble the taste of apple champagne.
- You can eat the fruits after soaking as an independent dish or dessert, or you can combine it with various vegetables, fruits, add to salads, snacks. They go well with baked meat and lean options.
- Soaked fruits are stored until next summer. Of course, provided it is properly soaked.
Barrels or tubs have always been considered the most suitable containers, but glass containers replace them very well. Therefore, modern housewives can cook soaked apples in a city apartment.
Choosing fruits for soaking
Apples of late varieties, preferably green or white, are suitable for cooking. Summer (early) varieties or rich orange varieties are not suitable for peeing. The most suitable varieties are considered:
Fruits of other green varieties are also perfectly soaked.
When choosing fruits, we pay attention to their integrity and elasticity. Immediately set aside damaged, rotting or soft apples. Apples that are too dense will not work either. It is better to choose a variety with a medium density of fruits.
Important! Apples should not show any signs of hitting the ground when dropped. Only fruits plucked from the tree by hand are suitable for urinating.
Second nuance. Freshly picked apples of varieties with a high starch content should not be soaked. They need to be set aside for 2-3 days after picking so that the starchy compounds in the fruit turn into sugar.
Sort the fruit before proceeding to soak. Choose fruits of approximately the same size and wash them thoroughly. This must be done in order to wash away the traces of chemical treatments on the fruit.
Cooking containers for apples
The best container is a barrel. In it, the urination process takes place according to all the rules. And the tree from which the tub is made protects the products from decay and gives them a piquant taste thanks to the aromatic resins in the wood.
If you are lucky and have a tub, then you first need to soak it with water. This is necessary to preserve the tree when wetting or pickling food. Then the container is scalded with boiling water and washed with a solution of caustic soda. After processing, the solution is thoroughly washed off and the barrel is rinsed again with boiling water. Now you can dry it. In sunny weather, the container is exposed to bright rays and fresh wind.
In the absence of wooden dishes, feel free to use glass. Soaking apples in bottles gives the same delicious result.
In recipes for soaking fruits, they need to be shifted with straw or leaves. This is done in order to preserve the fruit and give it a beautiful shade. In addition, the apples will absorb the aroma of the foliage during the peeing process and become even tastier.
There is not much difference in what material is used to transfer pickled apples. The only requirement for straw is that it must be clean, free of fungal infections. For 50 kg of apples, you need to take 1 kg of straw, which is scalded with boiling water several times before laying. Leaves of fruit or berry crops are soaked in cold water for several hours. Any simple recipe starts with these preparatory steps.
Important! When soaking apples, place a supply of clean, cold water nearby.
At first, the fruits actively draw in liquid, so it will have to be added.
Getting started soaking apples
Consider a simple recipe for soaking apples with mustard.
We will prepare the fruits - we will sort them out, wash them thoroughly.
Now you need pouring or wort.
For a recipe with mustard for 10 liters of water, take:
- 2 tablespoons of table salt and dry mustard;
- from 150 to 300 g of granulated sugar, which can be replaced with honey.
If we take honey, we will double its amount. Mustard powder can be made from mustard seeds (seeds) by grinding them in a spice grinder.
Boil water with sugar and cool.
Important! Add honey to water cooled to + 40 ° С.
In hotter water, it loses its beneficial properties.
Then add salt, mustard and mix thoroughly.
Step by step cooking:
- We cover the bottom of the tub with straw. If we carry out soaking in a glass jar, then put currant or cherry leaves.
- Lay a layer of fruit on top.
- Again leaves and again fruits.
- We repeat this until the container is completely filled.
- The top layer should be made of leaves or straw.
- Fill the apples with brine, cover with a clean cloth or gauze, put the oppression.
- If we soak fruit in a barrel, grease its edges with vegetable oil.
Soaked apples with mustard must still be properly stored so that they are well salted and preserved until spring. You can start tasting delicious soaked apples with mustard in a month. This recipe has advantages over other steeping options. When mustard powder is added to the filling, little foam is formed, and the appearance of mold is not observed. Apples acquire a pungent flavor and remain firm rather than crumbly until the end of storage.
Recommendations for housewives
Here are some tips to help you get the apples right into the process:
- Store pickled apples with mustard only in a cool place. But first, to activate the fermentation process, keep them at room temperature for a week.
- Remember to add boiled chilled water if the water level drops in the container. This must be done so that the top apples do not spoil.
- Rinse the wooden circle or plate under pressure on a weekly basis and skim off the resulting foam.
- Change the fabric if you notice moldy spots on it. And in this case, be sure to treat the top of the tub with a baking soda solution.
- It is important to remember that adding other spices or herbs will change the taste of the soaked apples.
Try and share new recipes.