We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Both children and adults love fragrant strawberries. Today, you can find a variety of varieties that vary in size and flavor. That is why it is not easy for gardeners to make a choice. One of the varieties that interested amateurs is the Gigantella Maxim strawberry.
This is a Dutch strawberry variety that stands out for the power of bushes and berries. Look at the photo below, how the fruits look next to the matchbox. To get a decent harvest, you need to follow the basics of agricultural technology, otherwise the variety may degenerate, grind. The qualities of the berry, the characteristics of the plant, how to care for the Gigantella variety will be discussed.
Holland breeders, creating a variety, dreamed of getting a mid-season strawberry with huge fruits. They succeeded quite well.
Strawberry Gigantella in the description of the variety, photos and reviews of gardeners fully corresponds to the real results. This contributes to the growing popularity of the variety.
- The strawberry bush is powerful, spreading, its height can be almost half a meter, so the plants are not planted close.
- The leaves of the Gigantella Maxim variety are large, juicy green, shiny, with a slight corrugation.
- Gigantella begins to bear fruit in the open field in the second half of July, when grown under a film 2 weeks earlier. One strawberry bush throws up to 30 peduncles. Each of them blooms from 6 to 8 flowers.
- It yields only once, but due to large berries weighing up to 60, and sometimes up to 100 grams, it justifies the expectation of gardeners.
- The berries are bright scarlet, with white dots, dense, juicy. You can determine that the Gigantella strawberry has almost reached the desired condition by looking at the spout, which gradually turns scarlet from white. The fruit is very sweet with a subtle pineapple aftertaste.
- In one place, Gigantella strawberries can be grown for no more than 8 years.
The high yield of Gigantella strawberries attracts not only private owners, but also large agricultural producers. Subject to agricultural technology, more than 3 kg of juicy fragrant fruits can be harvested from one bush.
As noted in the description, the Gigantella strawberry variety is famous for its dense berries. This quality is highly appreciated by gardeners, since during transportation the fruits do not crumple, do not leak out of juice.
Taste qualities did not go unnoticed by the chefs: the berry goes to compotes, jams, confitures. Fully preserves its presentation when frozen.
Despite the fact that it is possible to grow Maxim strawberries in one place up to 8 years, it will still have to be replaced. You can get new plants in the traditional ways for the species:
- rooting of the mustache;
- dividing the bush.
Reproduction of Gigantella strawberries by seeds is not only the most laborious method, but the harvest can only be harvested next year. Rooted whiskers or root cuttings bloom in the year of planting.
About growing large-fruited garden strawberry Gigantella from seeds:
Planting strawberries in the ground
Since the fruits of Gigantella strawberries are quite large, it is clear that they need a good nutritious soil. In this case, the crop will correspond to the characteristic in all respects. The plant likes loamy soils, which are treated with organic matter or mineral fertilizers.
Planting peas, beans, beans, lentils can be the predecessors of Gigantella strawberries. Better yet, plant the plants in the ground, which was given a season to rest. In central Russia, plants can be planted in open ground at the end of April, beginning of May, since the remontant variety is frost-resistant.
Immediately before planting strawberries, the soil is spilled with water, holes are marked for seedlings.
When planting plants, you should pay attention to the planting depth. Growth points should remain above the surface of loose soil. Look at the photo below, how the gardener does it.
When growing Gigantella strawberries, there are no particular difficulties. Gardeners write about this in their reviews. Agricultural technology is almost identical to the rest of the varieties. Although some of the nuances when growing Gigantella strawberries are still worth paying attention to:
- The bush is growing rapidly, throwing out a huge amount of mustache. If you need a good harvest, then you should remove them as soon as they appear. To obtain planting material, a few bushes are enough. They only drop 5 whiskers for rooting, so as not to weaken the uterine bush.
- Gigantella is also grown by the carpet method, rooting all the mustache. As the foliage grows, new rosettes begin to produce flower stalks and yield crops in the first year.
Attention! Strawberry Gigantella is undemanding for planting and care.
- If the strawberries are simply planted in the ground (the ridge is not covered with black non-woven material), it is necessary to remove the weeds in a timely manner.
- Water the plants once every 7 days.
- Diseased strawberry bushes must be removed immediately.
- Before setting the fruit, the soil must be mulched to prevent rotting of garden strawberries.
- To grow a rich crop, do not forget to fertilize before fruiting. Water the bushes with sodium sulfate and nitrophos. Re-feeding is carried out after harvesting with nitrophos and wood ash.
- Frost-resistant Gigantella strawberries do not need to be covered for the winter. It keeps well under the snow.
Warning! You do not need to pick off old leaves, they are a kind of insulation for the roots.
Diseases and pests
The variety has a fairly high immunity to many strawberry diseases, but it cannot resist some fungal diseases. First of all, this applies to gray rot. If a disease occurs, it is necessary to remove diseased bushes and treat the entire plantation with Fitosporin or other fungicides.
The second disease that Gigantella strawberry suffers from is non-infectious chlorosis. Foliar feeding with iron-containing preparations will help to cope with this disease.
To grow a rich harvest of large fragrant berries, one cannot do without preventive measures. Every spring and autumn, strawberry bushes need to be treated with 2% Bordeaux mixture.
Among the pests, the most ardent are moles and a bear, slugs and snails. You can cope with pests using folk methods. All of them dislike onion and garlic husks. It is simply scattered over the beds. Marigolds, onions, parsley, celery can be planted between the bushes.
If you follow agrotechnical standards when growing Gigantella strawberries, it will be like in the photo.
Daria, 18 years old, Moscow
My mom has been doing strawberries for a long time. Three years ago I bought Gigantella saplings. With its fragrant, sweet, huge fruits with a medium apple, it outshined all other varieties. My mother and I watered our strawberries a little, but often in hot weather. The next year, Dad promised to do drip irrigation.
Olga, 53 years old, Suzdal
A wonderful variety of garden strawberries. My grandchildren, as soon as they arrived at the dacha, immediately dived into Gigantella. Although not only it grows on my site. Apparently, this is the best berry for them. I would like to advise beginners: do not get carried away with nitrogen fertilizers. Many years ago I had such a sin. Apart from leaves and whiskers, there was nothing.
Elizaveta, 33 years old, Yaroslavl
I'm just starting to master the basics of truck farming. I bought Gigantella last year. She grew well, but I did not experience much delight from the berries. As it turned out later, it was her own fault - she applied a lot of fertilizers before planting. She left the bushes to winter. Let's see what will happen next. Now I will turn to my neighbor for advice.