We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Apricot Honey is distinguished by its dense, numerous and sweet fruits. The tree is unpretentious in care, easily takes root in all regions, is characterized by increased winter hardiness and drought resistance. The variety was bred for cultivation in the northern regions. Its yield is high, the fruits are suitable for fresh consumption and processing.
The honey apricot variety was bred in 1996, it is still not included in the state register of Russia. Breeders of the Yuzhnouralsk Research Institute of Fruit and Vegetable Growing and Potato Growing worked on a new fruit tree. Scientists tried to get a winter-hardy apricot. As a result of free cross-pollination of the Kichiginsky variety, a new type of fruit has appeared.
The frost-resistant tree takes root well in the Urals and Siberia. To this end, K. K. Mulayanova carried out work so that gardeners of the northern regions could enjoy sweet fruits.
Honey apricot fruits are all the same shape and size, they are suitable for sale
Description of apricot variety Honey
Fruits of Honey apricot are small in size, weighing up to 15 g, yellow color, with small red spots. In the cut, the fruit is the same color as the peel, the pulp density is average. The stone is easily separated, has an almond shape, and is colored brown. Fruit tasting score - 4.3. They attract with their honey flavor.
The tree reaches a height of 4 m, the crown is spreading, triangular in shape. The foliage is light green. Peduncles are painted in a burgundy shade, the bark is rich brown. Fruiting begins in the fifth year of the growing season, 20-30 kg of fruits are harvested from one apricot.
Characteristics of apricot honey
A description of honey apricot is presented in the video below. Before buying a tree, it is advisable to study all the characteristics in advance in order to comply with the rules of agricultural technology.
Drought tolerance, winter hardiness
Honey apricot is able to withstand frosts down to -40 ° C. Such features appear closer to the third year of the growing season. Until this age, it is advisable to cover the planting for the winter. This tree easily tolerates spring return frosts, unlike other fruit and berry crops.
The fruit plant also tolerates heat. However, do not forget about timely watering. If you plant a tree near groundwater, then it will independently receive the required amount of moisture. You don't have to worry about irrigation.
Pollinators for Apricot Honey
The only drawback of this variety is self-fertility. This means that the plant needs pollinators to set the pilaf. For this purpose, apricots of other varieties are planted near Medovoye: Kichiginsky, Chelyabinsky, Pikantny, Sibiryak Baikalova, Sayansky, Khabarovsky, Northern Lights, Amur, Gorny Abakan and others.
Other crops with the same flowering period are also suitable for pollination. In the garden, a distance of 3-4 m is maintained between the trees.
It is better to keep apricot orchards separate from other crops, this will protect them from fungal infection
Flowering period and ripening time
The fruits ripen in mid-August, the variety is mid-season. Budding begins in early June. Large flowers bloom, which consist of 5-6 white petals. There are yellow stamens in the center. Fruits are tied by the end of June, until the end of ripening, they gain weight and ripen.
Fruiting begins in the fifth year of the growing season. Until this time, the plant is gaining green mass. Collect 20-30 kg from each apricot. This indicator refers to high-yielding. The peak of fruiting occurs at 7-10 years.
Scope of the fruit
Honey apricots have a pleasant taste and are suitable for fresh consumption. The fruits are good for preparing winter preparations, such as:
- dried fruits;
- candied fruit;
Many gardeners plant this variety for the purpose of preparing winter preparations.
Apricots of the Honey variety are well kept fresh for 4-5 months in a cool place
Disease and pest resistance
Apricot variety Honey is resistant to many fungi and pests. However, preventive measures are recommended. To do this, during the flowering period, the plant is treated with fungicides and insecticides. This provides protection against many diseases.
Advantages and disadvantages
Honey apricot has many advantages, so it is often planted by gardeners on their plots. These include:
- drought resistance;
- winter hardiness;
- good taste;
- storage duration;
- disease and pest resistance;
- presentable type of fruit.
Of the shortcomings, only self-infertility is noted.
Honey apricot in the photo is similar to its closest relatives, which grow in the northern regions in the wild. Tree care and planting have their own characteristics.
Planting work is carried out in early spring or early autumn. In the north, it is recommended to plant seedlings in the spring, so that the roots are well established in the ground. Winter planting is suitable for temperate climates and the south.
Choosing the right place
Apricot prefers well-lit areas. The plant needs at least 8 hours of sunlight. The tree grows comfortably in gardens, next to a fence and bush plantings.
Annual plants are sold in nurseries, they adapt faster
What crops can and cannot be planted next to an apricot
It is undesirable to plant apple, plum, pear, peach, cherry, mountain ash, sweet cherry, currant, raspberry and nuts next to the trees. These plants attack the same diseases as apricots. They can infect each other. For honey and other varieties, it is better to fence off a separate area in the garden.
Selection and preparation of planting material
It is recommended to buy seedlings from proven nurseries. Purchasing wood "from hand" does not guarantee quality.
When choosing, you should pay attention to the following signs:
- there should be no rot;
- barrel without cuts and scratches;
- dense and healthy foliage;
- healthy roots.
Young seedlings take root quickly.
The planting hole begins to be prepared 2-3 weeks before transfer to the ground. Dig a hole 70 cm deep and 80 cm in diameter. The resulting soil is mixed with humus or fertilizer for fruit and berry crops. The hole is covered with half of the soil.
- The roots of the seedling are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate for 24 hours.
- 1 bucket of water is poured into the hole.
- The roots of the tree are lowered down, straightened with their hands.
- The hole is closed in layers, pressing each layer with your hands.
- A near-trunk circle with a radius of 20 cm is formed, watered abundantly with water.
- Cover with mulch to retain moisture.
When planting in spring, the hole can be prepared in the fall, during which time the fertilizers have time to be absorbed into the soil.
If you put fertilizers in the planting hole in advance, then they will be enough for two years.
Follow-up care of the culture
To get a decent harvest of apricots, follow the rules of care:
- Water the plant 3-4 times per season. For a young tree, 7-8 buckets of water are consumed, for an adult - 10. In an arid climate, irrigation is increased, with frequent rains, it is limited.
- Top dressing is combined with watering. Organic or mineral fertilizers are added.
- Pruning is carried out three times a year: at the beginning of the season, thinning in summer and after harvest. All damaged and dry branches are removed.
- Mulch is laid in the area of the trunk circle, it helps to retain moisture, protect against weed growth.
- In early spring and for the winter, the trunk is whitewashed before the first branching with a chalk solution.
- During the flowering period, preventive treatments with insecticides and fungicides are carried out.
To avoid contamination of the apricot with fungi, it is necessary to follow all the rules of agricultural technology. High-quality watering and feeding strengthens the health and immunity of the crop.
Diseases and pests
Honey apricot is susceptible to infection with fungal diseases and insect damage with a decrease in immunity. This happens in prolonged wet and cool weather.
Types of ailments:
- Moniliosis. The tree begins to dry out slowly, shedding foliage and fruits. You can fight with Teldor's solution.
The areas affected by moniliosis are clearly visible, they are localized in one place
- Hole spotting. Spots with a halo appear on the foliage of the plant, the inside dries up and falls off, holes are formed. The tree is not getting the nourishment it needs. Treatment is carried out with Bordeaux mixture or copper sulfate.
At the initial stage, the holes are similar to sunburn.
- Valsa mushroom. On the leaves of apricot honey there are large convex growths of orange color. A fungicidal spray helps to get rid of.
You can not trim the growths with scissors, this will serve to further spread
- Green aphid. These are small insects that feed on the leaves of the plant; holes remain from their bites. Aphids multiply quickly, you can fight it with an insecticide.
Aphids are very small, it is difficult to notice them in a timely manner.
- Fruit moth. Insects lay the larvae inside the honey apricot bud. After the formation of the fruit, they penetrate the inside of the apricot and eat it from the inside.
Moth butterflies lay their larvae during the flowering period, they can be scared away with insecticides
- Leaf roll. Caterpillars that suck the juice from the foliage of the honey apricot, after which it curls and turns yellow.
Leaf rollers can cause serious damage to a healthy honey apricot tree, after which it will be difficult to restore it.
Apricot Honey is distinguished by its winter hardiness. The fruits of the tree are pleasant and sweet in taste, for which they got their name. Seedlings are sold in nurseries, they easily take root in new areas. The yield is high, the fruit can be eaten fresh and processed for the winter.
Reviews of apricot varieties Honey
Galina Khasanova, 59 years old, Astana
I bought a plot, and an apricot grows on it. Later I found out that it is a Honey variety. The tree looks more than 10 years old. In the summer we got the first harvest, which surprised us with its wonderful sweet taste. We collected several buckets of fruit, some of them were prepared for the winter. I advise everyone, you will not regret it.
Valentina Komolova, 40 years old, Krasnoyarsk
A neighbor on the site told me about honey apricot for a long time. She bought herself a seedling 7 years ago and praised it all the time. This year I bought myself a young tree. I planted it in the spring, it took root very quickly, I hope I will soon try my apricots.
Angelina Bazhenova, 51 years old, Samara
I have been growing apricots in my orchard for a long time. I have two trees of the Honey variety. I bought and planted them in different years. The harvest of plants makes me happy every year. The fruits are very sweet and juicy. Grandchildren come every summer and sweep everything from the lower branches, and most importantly - the tree is unpretentious in care.