Can melon be poisoned: symptoms

Can melon be poisoned: symptoms

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Melon has a huge number of admirers and for good reason, because it has a delicious taste and aroma, and is also very useful for health. This summer fruit contains a large amount of fiber, vitamins and trace elements. But, despite the many advantages, the first fruits should be consumed with caution, since it is at the beginning of the melon season that melon poisoning occurs quite often. Such unpleasant consequences for health can end the natural desire to feast on tasty, fragrant fruits after a winter poor in vitamins.

Can melon be poisoned

Melon can be poisoned just as easily as with other fruits and berries, and the symptoms are very diverse. Even with the use of quality fruits, poisoning can occur if they are not eaten correctly. Melons are high in fiber and are considered difficult to digest. Therefore, you should not mix them with fermented milk products or wash them down with water. It is also not recommended to combine the use of the fruits of this melon culture with the intake of alcoholic beverages.

Advice! It is recommended to eat melon between main meals, 1.5-2 hours before or after eating other foods.

It is contraindicated to eat melon for diabetics and people suffering from stomach ulcers (duodenal ulcer), as well as during intestinal disorders. It is worth refraining from eating this sweet, fragrant berry and nursing mothers.

Classification of poisoning

There are two types of melon poisoning:

  1. Nitrate (chemical).
  2. Microbial.

Chemical poisoning provocateurs are substances used in agriculture - pesticides and nitrates. For example, fertilizers such as nitric acid salt can accumulate in fruits, becoming hazardous to health in large quantities.

Warning! The interaction of hemoglobin with nitrates and nitrites leads to the formation of methemoglobin, which is unable to transport oxygen through the blood. As a result, a person experiences hypoxia, as well as functional failures in the work of the cardiovascular, nervous and other systems of the body.

Symptoms of Nitrate Melon Poisoning

If the agrotechnical rules for growing melons and gourds are violated, harmful chemical compounds can accumulate in the fruits. Nitrate poisoning manifests itself rather slowly, after 6-8 hours, and is characterized by severe symptoms.

The main symptoms of chemical intoxication include:

  • dizziness;
  • noise in ears;
  • loss of appetite;
  • weakness;
  • labored breathing;
  • vomiting;
  • sharp painful sensations in the abdomen;
  • a feeling of bitterness in the mouth;
  • dark brown bowel movements;
  • blue lips and nails;
  • liver pain;
  • yellowing of the skin and sclera of the eyes.

Symptoms of Microbial Melon Poisoning

You can also get poisoned with a melon if you do not follow the rules for its storage and transportation. Damage to the skin leads to the penetration of bacteria into the fruit and their rapid reproduction in a sweet environment. Symptoms of bacterial intoxication are similar to disruptions in the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract.

Microbial melon poisoning manifests itself in the form of:

  • pain in the abdomen;
  • decreased appetite;
  • nausea;
  • periodic vomiting;
  • difficulty in digesting food;
  • temperature rise.

Attention! The appearance of vomiting indicates the body's attempts to get rid of the toxins that provoked the poisoning.

How to distinguish overeating from food poisoning

Melon is a rather heavy fruit for the digestive system. After consuming it, some discomfort may occur, which can be easily confused with poisoning. Melon is difficult to digest, does not combine well with other products, so it should not be overused. Overeating can lead to the following symptoms:

  • nausea;
  • bloating;
  • heaviness in the abdomen;
  • excessive gassing;
  • diarrhea.

These symptoms develop quickly, within hours of consuming too much melon, and, unlike severe poisoning, do not need treatment.

Attention! Overeating does not cause a significant deterioration in well-being, and the main symptoms disappear on their own, as soon as possible.

Is it possible to eat a melon with honey

Doctors categorically do not recommend eating a melon with honey. In their opinion, this combination is potentially hazardous to health. This is due to the fact that the pulp of the fruit does not enter the stomach as mashed potatoes, but in the form of pieces that are rather difficult to digest. Following the digestive tract, pieces of fruit are exposed to bile and gastric juices, and the simultaneous use of honey disrupts the natural process of digestion.

Undigested pieces of pulp are enveloped in honey and stick together, forming a kind of lumps, which end up in the intestines. Such a meal can turn out to be both a slight deterioration in well-being in the form of diarrhea or constipation, and a health-threatening condition in the form of an obstruction of the gastrointestinal tract. Such a complication is considered life-threatening, and therefore requires urgent surgical intervention.

First aid for melon poisoning

Despite the degree of poisoning, the victim needs first aid. In case of severe intoxication, it will help alleviate the condition of the poisoned person before the arrival of the medical team.

In case of melon poisoning, the victim must:

  1. Rinse the stomach by giving 0.4-1.0 liters of warm water to drink (you can add salt or potassium permanganate) and induce vomiting.
  2. Give an enema.
  3. Give absorbent drugs. Better in the form of a gel or liquid solution.
  4. Provide an abundant drinking regimen to prevent dehydration and eliminate toxic substances as quickly as possible.
  5. Carry out dehydration (replenishment of liquid and salts) with "Rehydron" solution.
  6. Provide bed rest.

Advice! Giving food (preferably semi-liquid) to a poisoned person can be started only after the complete cessation of vomiting. It is strictly forbidden to eat sweet, spicy and salty foods during this period.

When do you need to see a doctor?

Symptoms of melon poisoning are similar in adults and children, the main thing is to recognize them correctly and start treatment in a timely manner. Then the body will be able to fully recover in a fairly short time. The reason for an immediate visit to a doctor is the presence of such symptoms as:

  • loose stools and vomiting lasting more than 24 hours;
  • convulsions;
  • loss of consciousness;
  • hearing impairment.

Warning! It is strictly forbidden to self-medicate children under the age of three and pregnant women who have been poisoned by melons. Only a doctor can prescribe drugs to such patients to relieve symptoms of poisoning.

Possible consequences

Untimely first aid in case of severe intoxication that occurs when eating melon can lead to:

  • malfunctions in the functioning of the cardiovascular system;
  • liver damage;
  • disruption of the respiratory system;
  • irritation of the gastrointestinal mucosa.

Preventive measures

Compliance with the following rules will help prevent possible melon poisoning:

  1. Melon should be purchased on the market during the natural ripening season (August-September). Thus, the risk of buying fruits with a high content of various chemical compounds is significantly reduced.
  2. It is necessary to buy fruits only at specialized points of sale, where you can familiarize yourself with the documents for the goods. In particular, containing information on the results of control studies to identify the amount of toxic substances in fruits.
  3. You should not buy melons stored in violation (in the open sun, on the ground). It is also better to refuse to buy damaged or cut fruits.
  4. Before eating, the melon skin must be washed very thoroughly.
  5. It is necessary to store the cut fruits only in the refrigerator, but for more than 24 hours. Longer storage will facilitate the multiplication of pathogenic microorganisms.
  6. Do not eat melon pulp that is in close proximity to the peel, as it accumulates the maximum amount of nitrates and pesticides.
  7. Eat fruits in moderation without overeating.
  8. Eat melon as a separate dish without mixing it with other foods.

Important! It is not recommended to include melon in the diet of children under one year old. Also, it is not suitable for the first feeding, since the digestive system of babies cannot fully digest it, due to the lack of special enzymes.


Melon poisoning is not considered particularly dangerous and difficult for the human body. But this is not a reason for inaction, since such intoxication can provoke the development of a number of various complications. Adherence to simple rules related to the use and storage of melons will help prevent poisoning.

Watch the video: LPPT: Symptoms Associated with Lead Poisoning Ep. 20 of 23 (January 2023).

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos