We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The healing properties of Sunberry, contraindications and photos are of interest to fans of unusual products and fans of home medicine. Berries, vaguely similar to blueberries, are suitable not only for eating, but also for treatment, so it is interesting to get acquainted with their properties.
What a sunberry
The sunberry berry plant is a hybrid obtained by crossing two species of nightshade - African and European creeping. The hybrid was bred in South America at the beginning of the 20th century.
In the photo of the sunberry plant, you can see that the hybrid nightshade is a medium-sized berry shrub that can grow up to 2 m.Sunberry blooms with small white flowers collected in inflorescences, while flowering continues until autumn, which makes the shrub very decorative.
The berries of the plant are similar in color and shape to blueberries, but in size they are more like cherries, and ripen in clusters of about 15 pieces. The large size and unpretentiousness of the Sunberry takes from the African variety of nightshade, while the taste is due to European nightshade. Sunberry has a very high yield; in the garden, a whole bucket of useful berries can be harvested from about 5 small bushes. The fruits of the plant ripen gradually and unevenly, however, this does not affect the yield; upon reaching full maturity, the berries continue to hang on the branches without crumbling to the ground.
The useful properties of the Canadian blueberry sunberry, as this berry is also called, are very diverse. The taste of the berries in its pure form is pleasant, but rather bland, but the composition is very rich.
Sunberry berry composition
The small black fruits of the nightshade plant contain many health benefits. Namely:
- vitamin C;
- vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6;
- vitamin A;
- elements manganese and zinc;
- chrome and selenium;
- nickel, iron, copper and potassium;
- saturated and unsaturated fatty acids;
- anthocyanins and chlorophyll.
Also, magnesium and calcium are present in small quantities in the fruits of the plant. Thanks to these properties, a beautiful and unpretentious fruit shrub in cultivation is very useful from a nutritional and medicinal point of view.
Calorie content of the sunberry life
Sunberry is a fairly nutritious berry, although its size is relatively modest. 100 g of fruit contains 220 kcal, while about 40 g are carbohydrates, 28 g are fats, and only 9 g are allocated to proteins.
What are the benefits of sunberry berry
Fruits are most prized for their health benefits. With regular use of Canadian blueberries:
- strengthen the immune system and increase resistance to disease;
- help to quickly heal viral and infectious ailments;
- equalize blood pressure and prevent the development of atherosclerosis;
- prevent the appearance of cholesterol plaques, protect the liver from ailments;
- improve the supply of the brain with valuable substances;
- help to reduce discomfort with joint ailments;
- regulate metabolism and improve peristalsis, thereby helping to relieve constipation;
- help with hemorrhoids and varicose veins - the beneficial properties of berries strengthen the vascular walls;
- slightly thin the blood and thereby prevent the development of thrombosis;
- relieve puffiness and improve kidney function;
- help with migraines;
- relieve symptoms of gastritis and intestinal ailments.
Sunberry also has strong anti-aging properties. For this reason, beneficial fruits are often used in cosmetology for skin care and to maintain youth.
Benefits of Sunberry for Women
The use of sunberry is especially useful for women, black berries help fight the symptoms of menopause and improve the condition of painful periods. Valuable minerals in the composition of the fruit replenish strength and allow you not to feel weak against the background of blood loss.
Sunberry also improves mood and, in general, has a beneficial effect on the state of the nervous system. With the help of black berries, you can fight insomnia and headaches, increased anxiety and mood swings. Berries have a calming effect, so they will be very useful for women who are prone to frequent emotional surges.
Important! For all the benefits of sunberry berries, they are not recommended for pregnant women, berries can provoke increased uterine contractions, and these properties are dangerous to the fetus and the health of the woman herself.
Benefits of the sun berry for men
For men, the particular benefit of Sunberry is its beneficial effect on the reproductive system. Since berries significantly improve blood circulation, potency also increases. You can also use nightshade fruits to strengthen endurance, to protect blood vessels and the heart from the premature development of dangerous ailments.
Sunberry has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, it is possible to use the fruits for food or as part of home medicines for prostatitis or infectious diseases of the reproductive system.
Benefits of the nightshade sunberry for children
For teenagers, Canadian sunberry blueberries can bring many benefits. The berry will help strengthen resistance to colds, improve digestion and have a beneficial effect on the child's mental activity. Many adolescents are hyperactive during adolescence. The sedative properties of berries in this case will have a beneficial effect on the child's nervous system, help prevent insomnia and normalize the emotional background.
However, when using Sunberry, it must be remembered that the fruits can cause severe allergies. For the first time, it is recommended to offer a berry to children no earlier than 12 years old and in very small quantities.
Attention! Sunberry can not only provoke allergies, but also has a number of contraindications. Before offering your child unusual berries, you should definitely consult a pediatrician.
How to use sunberry berries
The use of sunberry berries is completely universal, they are used for cooking, for the treatment of diseases and for beauty care.
- Sunberry has average taste qualities - the berry itself is not sour or sweet, so only a few people appreciate it for its unique taste. But at the same time, on the basis of sunberry fruits, you can prepare many healthy dishes, for example, juices and compotes, jams and dried fruits, candied fruits and pickled preparations. Processing improves the palatability of the product and makes Sunberry a really interesting product.
- The medicinal properties and contraindications of Sunberry are highly valued - the fruits can be found in many home medicine recipes. Hybrid nightshade helps with digestive diseases and colds, skin and respiratory ailments, high blood pressure and chronic migraines.
Advice! Since not everyone likes the taste of nightshade berries, they are scalded with boiling water before use or use in blanks - this helps to eliminate unpleasant taste notes.
Noteworthy are the cosmetic properties of black berries. Sunberry is used in home cosmetology for the preparation of anti-aging masks. For example, such a tool is popular:
- 2 large tablespoons of the fruit are thoroughly kneaded into a gruel;
- mixed with 1 small spoonful of mashed potatoes;
- add 1 large spoonful of fresh lemon juice and 1 small spoonful of chopped parsley.
The ingredients are mixed until smooth and applied to the skin of the face or whole body for half an hour. If you use the home remedy at least twice a week, the rejuvenating and whitening effect will be noticeable very soon.
Several quite tasty and healthy dishes can be prepared from Sunberry berries. The processing for the fruit of the plant is minimal, which makes the recipes very simple.
Sunberry juice with honey is of great benefit, and it is prepared as follows:
- juice is squeezed out of 500 g of fresh berries, first the fruits can be turned into gruel in a blender, and then squeezed through cheesecloth;
- the juice is diluted with water in equal proportions so that it becomes less concentrated;
- natural honey is added to the drink in a ratio of 5 to 1 and the product is thoroughly mixed.
You can use this juice both for pleasure and as a medicine. The drink will have a beneficial effect on vitamin deficiencies and colds.
Sunberries can be pickled to extend shelf life and allow them to be used as a complement to other dishes. The cooking algorithm is very simple:
- berries in sufficient quantities are poured with boiling water, then the water is drained through a colander and the fruits are allowed to cool slightly;
- at the same time prepare a brine for the marinade - 2 large tablespoons of salt are mixed with 4 large tablespoons of sugar, add cloves, bay leaves and black pepper to taste, pour in a small amount of water and boil for 15 minutes;
- scalded berries are poured into sterile jars;
- 2 large tablespoons of vinegar are added to the marinade and the berries are poured with liquid.
After that, the cans need to be rolled up, turned over, wrapped in a warm cloth and kept in this state for at least a day. Pickled berries will last great throughout the winter and can be added to any appetizers if desired.
Sunberry compote is a tasty and healthy drink. Prepare it like this:
- 1 kg of fully ripe fruits of the plant are thoroughly washed and dried, and then poured over with fresh boiling water several times;
- the berries are poured into an enamel pan and each berry is pierced with a fork or toothpick, and then the fruits are poured with 1 kg of sugar;
- for a couple of hours, the workpiece is left in order for the juice to stand out, then sunberry and sugar are poured in 2 liters of boiling water;
- the mixture is stirred and filtered, after which the resulting sugar syrup with sunberry juice is boiled for another quarter of an hour on the stove.
The berries are poured into sterile jars and poured with still hot sweet syrup, after which they are rolled tightly and allowed to cool, tightly wrapping the jars with compote in a warm blanket for a day.
Lovers of sweets will love the delicious and quick-to-prepare jam. They do it like this:
- 1 kg of Canadian blueberries are turned into gruel using a blender or meat grinder;
- mixed with 900 g of granulated sugar;
- put on the stove without adding water, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
If desired, you can also add a little lemon juice or ginger powder to the jam, they will make the taste of the product even more interesting. Ready-made jam is best stored in sterile rolled up jars - this will allow you to treat yourself to a delicacy throughout the cold season.
Sunberry Berry Treatment
The benefits and harms of sunberry berries are highly valued by traditional medicine and recommends the fruits of the plant for use for many ailments.
- With vitamin deficiency and anemia. Such a useful remedy helps well against a breakdown - 3 cups of berries are mixed with a glass of pine nuts, the ingredients are chopped in a blender, and then a few tablespoons of honey are added. The vitamin mixture is taken on an empty stomach, 1 large spoon twice a day, a tasty medicine will quickly help regain strength and well-being.
- With hypertension. Sunberry for hypertension helps especially well when combined with honey. A small amount of ripe berries must be chopped in a blender; washed leaves and plant stems can also be added to the fruits. The resulting gruel is squeezed through cheesecloth, and the juice is mixed with honey - in the proportion of 20 g of honey per 500 ml of juice. Take the medicine 1 large spoon twice a day.
- With ailments of the thyroid gland. Sunberry recipes and the beneficial properties of the fruit help to improve the condition for diseases of the thyroid gland. To prepare an effective remedy, it is necessary to mix Canadian blueberries, feijoa and natural honey in proportions of 2: 1: 1, properly grind the ingredients with a blender and insist the thick mixture in a dark place for about 2 hours. You need to take the product twice a day, 4-5 large spoons.
- With gastritis. Sunberry properties are good for inflammatory processes in the stomach. About 100 g of crushed fruits, leaves and stems of a plant should be poured with 3 liters of hot water and insisted for 3 hours, and then filtered and drunk on an empty stomach three times a day, 3 large spoons.
- With migraine. The benefits of sunberry berries are manifested in headaches - washed ripe berries and green stems must be boiled in boiling water and insisted for 12 hours, and then applied to the temples and forehead lotions with the resulting infusion. You need to keep the lotions for 20 minutes, use them several times a day until the migraine subsides.
- With asthma. Sunberry is good for asthma symptoms - ripe berries and dried flowers of the plant are mixed with the stalks of lungwort, properly crushed in a blender, and then brewed with boiling water in a thermos. You need to insist the remedy for 2 hours, and drink the infusion of 1 large spoon on an empty stomach three times a day.
- With joint ailments. About 200 g of horseradish is mixed with 250 g of honey, chopped in a blender, and then poured into a glass of fresh sunberry juice. Take the drug three times a day, 1 large spoon. In addition to the main treatment, you can do healing baths, add a glass of Canadian blueberry juice and 50 g of chopped horseradish to a full container of water, and then lie in hot water for no more than 25 minutes.
The beneficial properties of Sunberry help with angina - you can gargle your throat with juice from ripe fruits 2-3 times a day, this will relieve pain and inflammation. Sunberry is also used externally for eczema, dermatitis and skin lesions, you can simply apply gruel from berries to sore areas, or you can mix Sunberry with milk, kefir, egg yolks to enhance the beneficial effect.
Sunberry juice is good for insomnia. It is recommended to mix the squeeze from ripe berries in equal proportions with linden or flower honey and take 1 large spoon every evening shortly before bedtime.
Contraindications to the sunberry berry
The sunberry plant and its uses are not approved for everyone. In some conditions and ailments, it is better to refuse the use of Canadian blueberries, the berries can cause severe harm to the body. Contraindications for sunberry include:
- individual allergy to fruits or individual components in their composition - sunberry intolerance can lead to nausea, itching and skin rash, diarrhea;
- a tendency to diarrhea - berries speed up metabolism and have a laxative effect, therefore, they can lead to intestinal upset;
- pregnancy - Sunberry fruits stimulate the muscle activity of the uterus, which can negatively affect the condition of the fetus and lead to miscarriage;
- breastfeeding - Canadian blueberries often cause allergies in children, therefore, it is highly likely that the baby will react negatively to the Sunberry components in breast milk.
Since the fruits of the nightshade plant have a sedative effect and cause drowsiness, they are not recommended for people whose work is associated with increased concentration. Sunberry meals and medicines are best avoided before driving, especially if you are planning a long trip.
Advice! When eating fruits, you need to carefully monitor the dosage.It is advisable to consume no more than a couple of handfuls of ripe nightshade berries per day. Eating too much sunberry can trigger allergies or hypervitaminosis, which is also unhealthy.
Collecting and harvesting sunberry
The beneficial properties of the sunberry in the blanks will be fully preserved if the collection and processing of fruits is carried out in accordance with all the rules.
- The berries of the plant reach full ripeness in September. They need to be harvested only after the fruits have completely turned black, since even ripe berries do not crumble from the branches, a long wait does not threaten gardeners with a loss of harvest.
- For long-term storage, the fruits of the plant must be properly prepared. Usually the berries are dried - they need to be spread out on a baking sheet in an even layer and put in the oven for 3-4 hours, leaving the door open. The optimum temperature for drying should not exceed 60 degrees; from time to time, the berries must be stirred so that they dry evenly. Also, Sunberry fruits can be dried in the fresh air in the shade, but it will take more time, several days, and besides, you will have to carefully control the humidity so that the berries do not start to rot.
Another way of harvesting fruits is freezing. The collected ripe berries are thoroughly washed, then dried in the air, and then laid out in small portions in plastic containers or plastic bags and put into a freezer with a temperature not higher than -18 ° C.
Attention! It is strictly forbidden to use unripe berries of the plant for harvesting, they have toxic properties. Photos of sunberry berries show that ripe hybrid nightshade should be black or dark purple - brown, unevenly dark, and even more so green fruits should not be used for food and cannot be treated for treatment.
Storage of berries
The shelf life of Sunberry depends on the processing method. Fresh fruits are stored for no more than a month, high-quality dried or frozen berries retain their beneficial properties throughout the year.
Keep the sunberry in a dark place with low humidity. Fresh fruits are stored in the refrigerator, frozen preparations should be kept only in the freezer. Dried fruits can be stored at room temperature, but should be kept out of sunlight and in an airtight dry container.
The healing properties of Sunberry, contraindications and photos deserve the most careful study. Despite the average taste, hybrid nightshade berries are highly valued in folk medicine, and also serve as the basis for the preparation of pleasant and healthy culinary dishes.