We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
It is necessary to feed phloxes in the spring for every gardener who wants to see exquisite flowers with good decorative qualities in his personal plot. These unpretentious perennials need proper care, timely watering and fertilization. If you feed, loosen and mulch the earth in spring and autumn, phloxes will annually delight the owner with lush bouquets with a wonderful aroma and will live in one place for up to 8 years.
Phloxes need mineral or organic fertilizers
Do I need to fertilize phlox
To increase the lifespan and improve the quality of the flower, you need to know about the rules for caring for it. The main secret, thanks to which the buds will be large, and their flowering for a long time, is the fertilization of the soil. Phlox growth begins early, the first time it is advisable to feed them in the spring, until all the snow has melted. The next top dressing is in late May - early June. Then meals are produced in the first and last week of July. Cultivars that bloom late should be additionally fed at the end of summer. The last time phloxes are fertilized in the fall before winter.
Fertilizers for phlox
The composition of the substances with which you need to feed it depends on the stage of development of the culture. The phlox growing season consists of several stages:
- the formation of buds;
- the end of flowering;
- ripening of the seed pod.
For each phase of growth, you need to select the appropriate type of fertilizer:
- Organic. Natural nutrients containing nitrogen, thanks to which phlox grows well. Organic matter should be applied abundantly in the spring, and later, at the time of butanization, its amount is reduced.
- Mineral compositions. Chemicals that the plant needs during the summer and fall months. In the spring, urea can be used from minerals.
- Root dressing. The most effective care method used throughout the year. When organic matter and minerals are applied under the root of the bushes in a liquid or dry state. It is advisable to use these mixtures in early spring or during the autumn feeding of phlox and preparation for winter.
- Foliar dressing. Spraying bushes with nutrient compounds. The best time to spend is early June and late July.
- Folk remedies. In spring, wood ash is used, nettle infusion is used as an alternative to nitrogen sources, and bone meal is used instead of phosphorus preparations.
Warning! Irrigation of plants should be done in the evening or in cloudy weather to avoid sunburn.
Fresh manure does not need to be applied under the plants, this can lead to rot and fungal diseases
What fertilizers do phloxes like?
Before feeding a crop, it is important to pay attention to the planting site. Plants planted in clay or infertile soil, in addition to complex fertilizers, like the introduction of humus, sand, peat into the ground.
From organic matter, flowers are well perceived:
- slurry diluted with water in a ratio of 3:20;
- mullein in a rotted state, infused (1/3 of the substrate per 10 liters of water) and diluted 1: 3;
- bird manure, 1000 g per 10 liters.
Of the minerals, it is better to feed phlox:
- Crystalline urea, phosphorus, potassium, ammonium nitrate - can be applied only in spring.
- Potassium salt and potassium sulfate are indispensable in summer.
- Superphosphate - can be fed both in the spring and at the stage of fertilizing phlox for the winter.
Among folk remedies, it is better to give preference to wood ash, infusion of weeds, bone meal.
Wood ash will effectively protect phloxes from harmful insects
Signs of nutritional deficiencies
If phloxes lag behind in development, bloom poorly, shed their foliage ahead of time, it means that they lack nutrients. In this situation, it is important to correctly identify and eliminate the cause of the deterioration. The main signs of a lack of elements are:
- phosphorus - flowering later than the due date, dull leaves of a dark green hue;
- potassium - poor flowering, pale color;
- nitrogen - developmental delay, pale leaves;
- iron - yellowing of foliage in spring and summer;
- copper - slow development, brown spots on the leaves;
- magnesium - falling of leaf plates.
Advice! The sooner you notice signs of a lack of nutrients and eliminate their cause, the faster phloxes will recover.
Rules and terms for feeding perennial phlox
It is advisable to fertilize phlox perennials 5-6 times (necessarily in spring and before winter), but if the plant is young, then it is enough to feed it 3 times. Treatments are required depending on the growth phase.
- The first application is carried out in the spring. Ammonium nitrate, ash, superphosphate are distributed over the surface of the snow. In the absence of snow cover, top dressing is embedded in the ground.
- The second treatment is also carried out in the spring, but already in May. Mullein, potassium salt, ammonium nitrate are perfect. Additionally, you can pour a solution of potassium permanganate (0.2 g per 6 l) or boric acid (2 g per 6 l).
- In summer, at the time of flowering, it is better to feed the bushes with mineral complexes: "Flower", "Agricola". It is allowed to use a mixture of chicken manure and potassium sulfate with superphosphate (20 g each) per 10 liters of water. Potassium contributes to the formation of long and abundant flowering, enhances the color.
- In the fall, feeding phlox consists in the use of phosphorus-potassium solutions (20 g of potassium sulfate and 40 g of superphosphate per 20 liters of water). Useful is the use of bone meal, ash, the "Autumn" complex, mixed with compost.
Important! Late varieties of phlox should be additionally fed at the end of summer.
How to feed perennial phloxes in spring
Early spring begins the growing season of the plant. At this moment, it is better to feed it with minerals. For example, add 50 g of superphosphate or 40 g of ammonium nitrate per 1 m2.
In late spring, phloxes need nitrogenous, organic mixtures: ammonium nitrate and potassium salt (15 and 20 g per 1m2 respectively), ash. The best option would be an infusion of mullein or bird droppings. To prepare it you need:
- Place the substrate bag in a container of water.
- Insist 7-10 days, stirring occasionally.
- Mix with water 1:10.
In the spring, during planting, it is advisable to add humus from leaves, lime, horse manure, dolomite or bone meal to the ground. It is better to mix organics with minerals, so the plant will receive a maximum of substances that promote growth.
The use of organic matter in the garden and vegetable garden is environmentally friendly
How to feed phlox flowers in summer
To feed perennial phloxes in summer, mineral fertilizers or a mixture of 20 g of potassium sulfate, 20 g of superphosphate and 10 liters of water are suitable. Summer fertilization of phlox with ash will also be useful. To do this, 300 g of the substance must be diluted in a bucket of water and insisted for 4 days.
Warning! Compared to spring, the proportion of nitrogen during the flowering period of the crop should be lower, and phosphorus and potassium higher.
How to feed phlox in the fall
In the fall, flowers must be prepared for the cold weather. At this time, fertilizers must be applied, since the culture needs to recuperate. A solution prepared from a mixture of one spoonful of potassium sulfate and superphosphate in a bucket of water or a mixture of 40 g of wood ash, 20 g of potassium nitrate, 40 g of superphosphate and 10 liters of water is well suited.
A couple of weeks before using the phosphorus-potassium composition, it is advisable to treat the ground near the plants with foundationol (10 g per 10 l) or phytosporin-M (5 g per 10 l). The procedure is performed to prevent the development of bacterial and fungal diseases.
Attention! "Fundazol" is a toxic drug, you need to work with it with a respirator and gloves.
How to feed phlox for the winter
In October, you can feed phlox with dry preparations. Scatter 40 g of superphosphate or 200 g of bone meal under the bush, 1 glass of wood ash. So the plant will more easily survive the winter, accumulate nutrients in the roots. Mulching should be carried out in the second half of October. For this, sawdust, peat, cut grass and humus are used. To protect the crop from freezing, a 5 cm layer of mulch is enough.
How to feed phloxes for abundant flowering
In order for phlox to delight the gardener with fresh seedlings in the spring, it is important to strictly follow all the rules of care. To increase immunity and give the bush splendor, important substances are potassium, manganese, boron and other macronutrients. Potassium and phosphorus contribute to the formation of buds and giving a bright color. These components must be introduced into the soil where the flowers grow.
Also, to make phloxes large, in the fall you can feed them with Bona-Autumn or Fertika (autumn) preparations, and in the summer with Kemira + with the addition of Epin ampoules.
For abundant flowering, phloxes are fed about 6 times a year.
What and how you can not feed phlox
The phlox fertilization process has several nuances. During the procedure, you cannot:
- Use dry compounds on unmoistened soil.
- Apply fresh manure.
- Increase the concentration recommended by the manufacturer.
- Include nitrogen in the autumn feeding.
Top dressing rules
The effectiveness and benefit of the procedure depends on adherence to the rules. In order not to harm the plant, it is important to follow the instructions carefully. Correct feeding consists in using the required dose of the drug, in favorable weather conditions and the correct method of application.
Fertilizer use rules:
- It is inappropriate to fertilize in dry and windy weather. It is better to apply liquid organic matter in spring, in loosened, abundantly moist soil. It is allowed to feed flowers by foliar method in the morning or after sunset, on a calm, cloudy, but not rainy day.
- It is very important to strictly observe the dosage and prepare solutions according to the instructions. Excessive concentration of the substance can lead to burns and even death of the plant.
- The best result can be achieved if phlox is fed with fertilizer in a dissolved form. For this, the required amount of the component is diluted in a large volume of water and the bushes are watered with the composition.
- The use of dry mixtures is allowed when feeding phlox before winter, with abundant watering or rainy weather, for digging. Local application usually requires embedding the substance into wet soil to a depth of 20 cm.
- The foliar method provides additional nutrition. It is produced in late spring and summer by spraying beneficial solutions on the stems and leaves of flowers. Used for prophylaxis and in the case when the plant urgently needs to be fed (in case of illness).
If you feed phloxes not according to the rules, you can burn the root system, disrupt the balance of nutrients and soil microflora. And this will significantly impair the quality of phlox flowering and can lead to their death.
Top dressing never hurts if done correctly
You can feed phloxes in spring and autumn with different preparations and methods. The main thing is not to neglect the procedure and follow simple rules. A timely and competent approach to business will help prolong flowering and improve the quality of inflorescences, and prevent the development of diseases. But at the same time, it should be remembered that measure is important in everything.