We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Nadezhda plum is one of the most common in northern latitudes. The climate of the Far Eastern region suits her perfectly, and therefore it bears fruit abundantly. It is one of the few plum varieties in the area.
Breeding history of the variety
The variety was obtained by the Khabarovsk garden and berry selection station from free pollination of the Ussuri plum, red cherry plum and Manchurian prunes. The author is the breeder L. G. Setkova. The variety has been listed in the State Register since 2018.
Description of the plum variety Nadezhda
The main task of the breeders was to obtain a harvest in the conditions of the short northern summer. As a result, the superearly species were bred, in particular the Nadezhda plum. In the conditions of Primorsky Territory, it brings a fairly large harvest.
- The plum variety Nadezhda Primorya is undersized. In length it reaches no more than 2.5 m. At the same time it has a wide spreading oval crown. Short brown shoots surround the trunk.
- The leaf is small, oblong, dark green in color, with fine, frequent teeth. This plum is a long-liver, bears fruit from 15 to 25 years.
- Fruits are small, oblong, dark blue, with a whitish bloom. Average weight - 27 g, the largest - 35 g. The taste is sweet, but not cloying, with a slight sourness.
- The pulp of the fruit is dry, not very juicy, yellow in color. The aroma of the fruit is pineapple. The bone is not separated well. The skin is thin, with a sour taste.
- The variety is early - the harvest is in early August. Until fully ripe, the fruits do not fall off the tree.
- Average yield - up to 25 kg per tree. The first fruits are obtained 2-3 years after planting the seedling.
Plum Nadezhda Primorye has an average yield and early ripening of fruits. A definite plus for gardeners is the fruiting of the tree 2-3 years after planting. This is a universal culture.
Drought resistance, frost resistance
Plum variety Nadezhda easily tolerates Far Eastern frosts, shoots are highly winter-hardy, flowers are medium.
Drought can also be easily dealt with; you can water it just a few times during the summer season. The only thing that needs to be controlled is excessive soil moisture. Plum doesn't like that.
In warm regions, it may not take root, possibly drying out of the roots. In any conditions, it bears fruit annually.
Plum Hope does not require pollinators. It is a self-fertile variety. He himself acts as a pollinator, but bears fruit well only with cross-pollination.
Plum must be planted surrounded by several other varieties. Self-fertile and partially self-fertile varieties growing nearby will give good yields. All types of Chinese, Far Eastern and Ussuri plums are well suited, such as:
- Khabarovsk early;
- Amur early;
- Early dawn.
All these varieties are early ripening, so the timing of their flowering and pollination is the same.
Important! It is necessary to plant in the neighborhood those varieties that are intended for a particular region. The article presents plum varieties bred and growing in the Far East region.
Productivity and fruiting
Plum Nadezhda Primorye bears fruit for 3 years after planting. This early variety ripens in the first half of August. Until ripening, the fruits do not crumble from the tree. Up to 25 kg of fruit can be harvested from one tree per season. The variety is considered medium-fruited.
Scope of berries
Fruits of the Nadezhda variety are used most often for making desserts, pastries, and juices. Plum is well suited for harvesting for the winter. You can make drying from the fruit. Delicious candied fruits will turn out.
Disease and pest resistance
The main pests of the Nadezhda variety include:
- spider mite;
Important! If you do not pay proper attention to the processing of wood, you can lose most of the harvest.
Spider mites can damage all plant shoots. He destroys the plum completely - the tree turns into a cocoon entangled in cobwebs. At first, the tick eats only the lower branches of the plant, then rises up and destroys the greens, inflorescences and fruit ovaries. The tree is treated with "Anti-tick" in the spring, during the growing season. When the first settlements of pests are found, it is necessary to carry out treatment with chemicals. At a later date, the funds will be ineffective.
The black sawfly appears shortly before the beginning of the plum blossom period. Lays eggs in the colors of the tree. One individual infects several dozen buds. During the period of ovary emergence, larvae appear, eating fruits and a bone. Uncontrolled reproduction of this insect is fraught with the loss of the entire crop. It is necessary to spray with the help of special means. Fruits damaged by this pest are destroyed. In the fall, they dig up the soil under the tree.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
The main advantages of this variety are its frost resistance. Plum does not die even at the lowest temperature.
You can also highlight the following positive properties:
- early ripening of fruits;
- high yield for the northern regions;
- good taste;
- early fruiting.
The plum variety Nadezhda was bred in the northern region and spread there. One of its drawbacks is poor survival rate in the southern regions.
Other disadvantages of the variety:
- susceptibility to root rotting;
- lack of immunity to pests;
- poor survival in a humid, warm climate.
The plum variety Nadezhda Primorya bears fruit well in the northern regions due to its frost resistance and is completely unsuitable for regions with hot weather and abundantly moist soil.
For abundant fruiting and proper development of the seedling, it is necessary to create the proper conditions for planting.
Variety Nadezhda prefers chernozem soils with a small admixture of clay. Does not tolerate the proximity of groundwater. Plum is planted in the spring, at the end of the frost, or in the fall, before their onset.
Choosing the right place
For plums, well-lit areas without drafts are preferred. It is good to plant a plum of the Nadezhda variety on a hill. It takes root well on forest ground. Usually a young plant is planted - up to a year.
What crops can and cannot be planted nearby
Plum Nadezhda Primorye is a stunted plant, does not tolerate shading.
- Tall trees with a large crown that can shade the plum must not be planted nearby.
- It is good to plant next to other varieties of self-fertile and non-self-fertile early ripening plums.
- It is ideal to plant cherry plum next to it.
Selection and preparation of planting material
The tree propagates by seed or grafting.
To get a bone, choose a healthy ripe fruit that has fallen from a tree on its own. The bone is removed after the fetus is laid down. The seed is planted in spring or autumn in warm soil. After planting, this place should be insulated with sawdust.
Attention! Plums are propagated by grafting only by experienced breeders. A beginner is unlikely to succeed in planting a plant the first time.
To familiarize yourself with the process, you can watch this video:
You can plant a plum as a seedling by choosing a suitable specimen in the nursery. Young trees up to a year with a straight trunk and a developed root system are suitable for planting. The rhizome is wrapped in a dense cloth and the plant is left in a cool dark place before planting.
- For planting plums, Nadezhda digs a rather large hole.
- Manure is loaded into it - 1 bucket, potassium salt - 30 g and superphosphates - 1.5 cups.
- It is good to sprinkle sawdust around the hole to prevent moisture evaporation.
- A peg is driven into the center, a seedling is placed next to it, which is attached to the support.
- The rhizome is covered with loose soil and trampled.
- Then the young tree is watered at the root.
Plum follow-up care
Plum variety Nadezhda is not picky about growing conditions.
- It is good to do the first feeding of the seedling the next year after planting. The seedling is fertilized by watering the root with potassium sulfate (60 g) and urea (60 g), dissolved in 10 liters of water. It is also necessary to add nitrogenous fertilizers to the plum 3 times a year.
- After planting, the seedling is cut to 50% of its original size. This stimulates the growth of young shoots.
How to properly prune young plum saplings, you can learn from this video:
- An adult tree is pruned as needed up to 2 times a year: in the spring, before the sap begins to move, and in the fall, after harvesting. Remove old dry shoots and branches, form a spherical crown.
- In the autumn, after harvesting, the plum is fertilized and watered before the onset of frost.
- Plum variety Nadezhda does not wrap up from the cold: she is able to withstand any frost. You can wrap the trunk for the winter with dense material to protect the bark from damage by rodents.
Diseases and pests, methods of control and prevention
Plum variety Nadezhda Primorye is practically not afraid of pests and is able to withstand any disease.
The main pest of Nadezhda is the moth. It affects both the leaves and the fruits of the plant. Spraying is chosen as a fight. It begins during the flowering period and is carried out every 2 weeks. Completed one month before the fruit ripens.
The plum variety Nadezhda Primorya in rare cases can be affected by monoliosis and clotterosporiosis. In order to prevent, before the beginning of fruiting, the foliage is treated with a Bordeaux mixture (3%).
Plum Nadezhda is a good choice for northern regions. High survival rate and frost resistance are the best suited for the weather conditions inherent in these edges. Early fruiting also distinguishes this plum from other species.
Dmitrova Anna Ivanovna, 65 years old, Khabarovsk
I love plums. I thought for a long time what kind to start, so that it would be ideal for our short summer and we had time to feast on berries. I chose the variety Nadezhda, since it bears fruit already 2 years after planting. And she made the right decision: the fruits are large and tasty. At the beginning of August I am already preparing aromatic jam.
Kireev Nikolay Ivanovich, 60 years old, Dalnegorsk
I choose trees carefully for my garden. Nadezhda found the description of the plum by chance. I decided to try to grow it. Everything worked out. The seedling took root perfectly. Already 2 years after planting, he harvested the first crop. The fruits are quite tasty, well suited for fresh food and for making jams. The harvest for our region is downright huge!