Dandelion jam fully retains the beneficial properties of the plant. Dandelion belongs to primroses, grows everywhere, harvesting raw materials is an easily accessible and labor-intensive process. They use jam as a dessert and for medicinal purposes.
The benefits and harms of dandelion jam
The dandelion product contains proteins, carbohydrates, fats that are necessary for normal body function. It also includes the following components:
- vitamins K, PP, group B, choline;
- vitamin C;
Due to its beneficial properties, the plant is widely used in folk medicine. The chemical composition is involved in almost all functions of the body. Dandelion Jam Benefits:
- Has a sedative effect. Calms the nervous system, improves sleep quality.
- Possesses antiviral properties. Prevents and treats seasonal infections, lowers fever, strengthens the body's resistance.
- Antioxidants tocopherol and ascorbic acid restore damaged cells, prevent the growth of cancer, prevent cardiovascular pathologies, normalize blood pressure, and inhibit the aging process.
- Improves the functioning of the endocrine system. Lowers blood sugar levels, normalizes hormones.
- Promotes milk production during lactation.
- Participates in hematopoiesis. Reduces cholesterol, prevents anemia.
- Regulates metabolic processes, acts as an absorbent, absorbs toxins and heavy metals.
- Has a diuretic effect. Eliminates congestion in the urinary system, improves potency.
- Promotes digestion, treats liver diseases, can be used as a choleretic agent.
- It has anthelmintic properties.
- Improves tone, restores energy.
Important! The beneficial properties of dandelion are used in cosmetology to improve the condition of hair and skin.
It is not recommended to use dandelion jam in case of an allergic reaction and with high acidity of gastric juice, since the product stimulates the production of secretions.
What helps cure dandelion flower jam
The range of application of the product is quite wide, the benefits of dandelion jam have been experimentally confirmed in the treatment of:
- dysbiosis, manifested by constipation;
- prostate adenoma;
- diabetes mellitus;
- bronchitis, viral infections, flu;
- malignant tumors;
- hepatitis, cirrhosis;
- low acidity gastritis;
The product normalizes metabolic processes, is indicated for obesity.
How to make dandelion jam
Dandelion jam is boiled only from the flowers of the plant, raw materials are collected in the spring during mass flowering. To obtain a product with the maximum content of useful properties, certain conditions are met:
- Choose flowers large, fully opened, bright yellow. The beneficial properties of the plant increase after two years of age. Half-open or faded dandelions are not suitable for jam. The main concentration of active substances is found in pollen.
- Flowers are plucked or cut with scissors, folded into a bag, glass or enamel container. Do not take metal collection containers to prevent oxidation.
- After harvesting, dandelions are poured onto white paper or cloth. Insects can be in the flowers, after a few minutes they will leave the plant and move to a white surface.
- Raw materials are soaked for 2 hours before cooking, if it is necessary to make dandelion jam for medicinal purposes, the measure is not relevant. The beneficial properties of the product will be higher without soaking, but there will be bitterness in the taste.
Advice! Dandelions are harvested in dry, sunny weather.
The jam is prepared from freshly picked dandelions, dried flowers are not suitable for this purpose, the beneficial properties of the plant are not fully preserved.
Where and how to collect dandelion flowers for jam
Dandelions are harvested for jam approximately in early or mid-May, when the plant enters the active flowering phase. Useful properties at this time reach their maximum level. Damaged or small flowers are not plucked. Dandelions form several stems up to 10 cm high. The older the plant, the stronger the foliage, the longer the stems and the larger the flowers.
For the procurement of raw materials, they choose a forest edge or a clearing outside the settlement. Unsuitable place to collect dandelions:
- industrial urban area;
- next to the landfill;
- near treatment facilities;
- cattle grazing areas;
- city parks and squares where pets are walked;
- gas stations;
In rural areas, the ecological situation is several orders of magnitude higher than the urban one. Dandelions can be harvested anywhere except in public areas and sanitary areas.
The classic dandelion jam recipe
The recipe will need the following ingredients:
- dandelion flowers - 300 pcs.;
- sugar - 750 g;
- citric acid - 1 tsp;
- water - 1.5 cups.
Ingredients can be reduced or increased while maintaining the stated ratio of the components. Below is a step-by-step recipe for dandelion jam with a photo.
The collected flowers are laid out on a white tablecloth, revised, the green fragments at the base are removed. Only the yellow part is used for jam.
Prepared raw materials are put in a colander, washed under a tap, placed in a container, poured with water. Leave for 4-5 hours. Then, using a slotted spoon, dandelions are taken out, laid out on a flat surface to evaporate excess moisture.
Mix sugar with water, put on a slow fire, boil the syrup, stirring constantly. When the crystals completely dissolve, add dandelion flowers, continue to boil on the same fire mode - 20 minutes, constantly stir and remove the foam.
The containers with jam are allowed to cool and put in the refrigerator until morning. The next day, put a wide saucepan on it with a colander and cheesecloth on top. Put dandelion jam.
When the syrup is completely drained, the edges of the gauze with flowers are collected in a bunch and squeezed out the rest.
Squeezed dandelion syrup is put on fire, depending on the desired thickness of the product, boiled for 20-35 minutes. Before finishing, add citric acid.
Hot jam is poured into sterilized containers, rolled up with lids and put away for storage. If part of the product is left for consumption, the container is covered with a nylon lid and put into the refrigerator.
Dandelion Blossom Jam
The jam according to the classic recipe is of medium density and bright amber color. The consistency of the product can be made thicker to a jam. Dandelion Pectin Jam Recipe:
- flowers - 200 pcs.;
- water - 3 glasses;
- sugar - 3 cups;
- pectin powder - 4 tsp;
- citric acid - ½ tsp.
- Water is poured into the container, pre-prepared flowers are placed.
- Boil for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, leave for 5 hours.
- Squeeze the raw material through cheesecloth.
- They put it on fire, when the juice boils, sugar is gradually introduced, stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Dilute the pectin according to the instructions, add it to the syrup before completing the preparation, keep it on fire until the required density.
- Before removing the pan from the heat, pour in citric acid.
The jam is packed in jars, covered with lids. The dessert retains its beneficial properties for 24 months.
How to make dandelion and orange jam
Subject to the proportions and preparation technology, the product will turn out to be orange with a subtle citrus smell. According to the recipe, dandelion flower jam is prepared along with the zest and pulp of an orange. Ingredients:
- flowers - 0.250 g;
- medium-sized oranges - 3 pcs.;
- sugar - 750 g;
- water - 1.5 liters.
Sequence of action:
- The flowers are sorted out, the green fragments are cut off.
- Pour in water, put in the refrigerator for a day to remove bitterness.
- Then they are laid out on a napkin and dried.
- Cut an orange into cubes.
- Placed in a container, fill with the required amount of water according to the recipe.
- Put on fire, simmer for 60 minutes over medium heat.
- The broth is allowed to cool, squeezed through cheesecloth, the cake is thrown away.
- Put sugar in the liquid, boil for 30-40 minutes.
Advice! To make the consistency thicker, the cooking time is increased.
Taste, sugar or citric acid can be added if desired. After boiling, the product is packed in jars, rolled up with lids. Orange jam retains useful properties for about 3 years. Dessert can be stored in a plastic container in the refrigerator.
How to take dandelion jam properly
Dandelion jam (pictured) is an amber, medium-thick substance. The taste of the product is specific, so it is unlikely that you will be able to consume a large amount. As a dessert, a few spoons with toast and tea or coffee are enough. Can be used with pancakes, pancakes, used as an impregnation between the cakes in the preparation of a cake. If there are no chronic diseases, the daily rate is no more than 8 spoons.
If dandelion jam is used as a medicine, it is recommended to adhere to the norm:
- during pregnancy, if there are no contraindications and an allergic reaction, the product is used to improve tone in the morning (1 tbsp. l), the same amount in the evening to improve sleep;
- with edema of various etiology, the daily dosage is 4-5 tbsp. l .;
- for the treatment of diabetes mellitus, the daily rate is no more than 4 tablespoons;
- as a prophylaxis for colds, jam is consumed every morning for 2 tbsp. l., washed down with hot milk;
- for heart diseases, take jam 21 days in the morning and in the evening for 1 tsp.
The beneficial properties of dandelion jam are used to cleanse the body of toxins. Use the product in a sauna or Russian bath. Before the steam room, take 4 spoons of herbal tea. The product acts as a diaphoretic.
Important! It is undesirable to add a dandelion product to a hot drink, the jam partially loses its beneficial properties.
How to take dandelion jam for weight loss
One of the beneficial properties of dandelion is a diuretic and diaphoretic effect. With excess weight, fluid accumulates in the tissues, edema appears. Jam helps to deal with the problem. The components in its composition participate in protein metabolism, break down fats, remove toxins, and eliminate constipation. By eliminating all the negative factors accompanying obesity, dandelion helps to lose weight. The beneficial properties of a slimming product include maintaining the required composition of vitamins and minerals with a simple or salt-free diet.
According to reviews of those who have lost weight from dandelion jam, weight loss is noted 14 days after ingestion. The course of treatment is unlimited, they use 1 tbsp. l. 30 minutes before meals. If the diet is fractional, dandelion product is taken at intervals of 4 hours.
How to store dandelion jam
According to reviews, the shelf life of dandelion jam, subject to the cooking technology, is at least 2 years. After readiness, the product is poured into pre-sterilized jars. Sealed hot with sterile lids. Dandelion juice is prone to fermentation, jam is no exception. To preserve the useful properties of the product, the jars are placed in a room without lighting at a constant temperature of no more than +50 C.
Limitations and contraindications
Dandelion jam has a significant set of useful properties, but there are also contraindications:
- Not recommended for children under 4 years of age. The product may provoke an allergic reaction.
- During breastfeeding, the dosage should not be exceeded (2 tsp).
- In case of intolerance to the substances contained in the plant, dandelion dessert is not consumed.
- You can not use the product in case of peptic ulcer of the digestive tract.
- At the time of exacerbation of gastritis, proceeding against a background of high acidity, it is also not recommended to use jam.
- If defecation is impaired (frequent diarrhea).
Attention! You can not use jam when the bile ducts are blocked.
The chemical composition of dandelion can worsen the condition significantly.
Dandelion jam has a high taste and numerous health benefits. They use the product as a dessert and for the treatment of a number of pathologies. The plant is readily available, it grows throughout Russia. Due to the structure, dandelion seeds fly over considerable distances, occupying large territories, so there are no problems with the procurement of raw materials.