We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Brugmansia is an amazing find for those who love exoticism. This plant is stunning in its beauty, shape, size and unusualness. It is impossible not to fall in love at first sight. It comes from South and Central America, which significantly affects the conditions for growing Brugmansia.
Nevertheless, Brugmansia cannot be called a garden plant, since in the middle lane in the open air it can grow only in the summer. During the wintering season, the winter garden or the greenhouse will be an ideal habitat for the plant.
Brugmansia: general description and appearance of the flower
This is a large, lushly flowering and very beautiful tree-like shrub reaching 5 meters. Its flowers, which look like giant bells with a length of 50 cm and a diameter of 20 cm, have a special decorative effect.
The buds have a pronounced aroma, which intensifies at night. It was this feature that contributed to the fact that Brugmansia was sometimes called dope.
In addition to the bright smell, the plant is striking in the variety of colors and shades that nature endowed it with: pink, orange, peach, cream, yellow and yellow-green. Varieties with double flowers are available.
In many countries, the plant is also referred to as "angel tubes." This is due to the almost incredibly rapid growth of Brugmansia. Datura flowers grow 3-4 cm per day! And if the conditions are favorable, then even by 6 - 7 cm!
Methods of propagation of Brugmansia: cuttings, layering, seeds
There are several ways to propagate this plant. Let's consider them in more detail.
- Air layers - in this way they begin to propagate Brugmansia in spring. For this, a healthy and seemingly well-developed shoot is selected in the upper part of it, on which a renal incision is made. After it is treated with a stimulant for root formation, it is wrapped in moss, which must be regularly moistened.
After 60 days, the moss can be removed and the shoot separated from the adult plant. After the separated shoot is planted in a separate container with nutritious and light soil. After 2-3 weeks, you can transplant it into a large pot - the permanent residence of the new Brugmansia.
- Cuttings - for plant propagation in this way, annual shoots selected from the top of the crown are needed. Their length should reach about 15 - 25 cm, and they should also have an apical growth point.
Cuttings are best done in late spring and early summer season. After trimming, the shoots are placed in a vessel with settling water and exposed in a bright and warm place. To prevent decay of the shoots, add a tablet of activated carbon to the water. By the end of the second week, the cuttings should give roots. When they reach a length of 5 cm, they are transplanted into the ground.
As a result, the container with seedlings moves to a warm place. Within two weeks, while rooting, seedlings are recommended to be sprayed.
- Seeds - this method of reproduction will not allow to transmit to the offspring of varietal characteristics of the plant. But if this detail is not important for you, then it is necessary to sow the seeds of Brugmansia into the ground from January to March. The sowing depth should be 0.5 - 1.0 cm.
After the container with seeds is covered with plastic wrap or glass and placed in a warm place (25 degrees Celsius), with diffused bright light. The first sprouts will appear in 10 - 50 days. When this happens, remove the film and spray seedlings (2 times a day). At the same time, when watering the sprouts, one should be careful: you can not overmoisten or, conversely, allow the soil to dry out. After the formation of the first leaves, seedlings are transplanted into large pots.
Summer care for Brugmansia
- The choice of a place in the garden is based on the fact that Brugmansia is a southerner, and therefore prefers sunny places protected from the wind. Also, the plant loves light fertile soils: a mixture of loam, humus or compost and 2 parts of peat. The mixture is mixed and watered with a solution of potassium permanganate. You can also use the finished soil, but it is better to add humus or compost to it to increase fertility.
- If the weather is hot in the summer, the "dope" needs daily and plentiful watering, with cloudy weather this is done from time to time. It is also recommended to spray the plant in dry weather.
- In this case, you should carefully monitor and not over-moisten the beauty. So that rot does not occur, the soil must be drained.
- From planting to mid-September, complex fertilizers intended for flowering plants once a week should be applied to the soil. This complex usually contains ash, potassium and phosphorus. The described species is very sensitive to the lack of these elements. With their deficiency, the leaves begin to turn yellow and fall. By the end of the summer period, the dose of fertilizers is reduced, and in September, fertilizing is completely stopped.
- Also, do not forget about pruning shrubs, which is best done no later than March. Do not remove Y-like shoots on which peduncles are formed. Only damaged and diseased shoots need to be cut, the rest is enough to shorten. In addition, you do not need to cut off the small side shoots of the upper part of the crown, which grow horizontally. After all, they are the key to the formation of a beautiful crown of the plant and are the basic peduncles.
Winter Brugmansia Care
Wintering of Brugmansia should take place according to certain rules, because this plant is still not intended for our climate, and can not tolerate frosts.
Already in the autumn, when the temperature drops to 5 degrees Celsius, it needs to be moved to the room. It is best to choose a cool, bright place, to provide less intensive watering than summer.
At the same time, even in severe winter time, the bush does not sleep, it can be grown using artificial lightning. Increase the daylight hours of the plant to 14 - 15 hours and raise the room temperature to 15 degrees. Do not forget about regular feeding, watering and spraying if the air in the room is dry.
It is worth remembering that the room should be aired from time to time, while avoiding drafts. The best options for wintering Brugmansia will be a greenhouse or apartment. If you put it near the window, the plant will continue to bloom.
Brugmansia is a very beautiful plant that requires additional care. But she can’t be called too capricious. And therefore, with due patience and attention to the plant, you can admire the beautiful flowers of this queen from spring to autumn, as well as enjoy its magical aroma.