We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Topiary is not just a whim of gardeners who want to decorate their site in an original way, but a real art, whose roots go back to the most ancient times. It is generally accepted that the art of topiary originated in Persia and Ancient Egypt, but the greatest flowering occurred in the 15th century. It was at this time that Louis the Fifteenth stood by the reign of France, wishing Versailles to be decorated with hedges. This fashion quickly took root in all the gardens of Europe.
Currently, topiary is not forgotten, on the contrary, interest in it is experiencing a fashionable boom.
Nowadays, not only professionals, landscape designers, but also ordinary lovers who want to create an individual style for their garden are interested in the art of trimming bushes.
Which plants to use
It would seem that it could be simpler to cut a bush or tree? In fact, everything is not so easy. Firstly, it is worth considering that not every plant is suitable for pruning. You can learn how to make a garden labyrinth in a summer cottage.
The most common suitable are the following bushes for decorative pruning:
The first plant, despite its toxicity, is often used in garden compositions, requiring a haircut twice a year. Yew requires care similar to boxwood and is also great for creating curly statues. Holly is a prickly plant from which you can organize a real living fence. Cotoneaster is well suited for cutting figures, but it needs to be trimmed quite often for a neat and tidy look.
An ideal material for creating hedges is privet, which requires a haircut only once a year in warm weather.
Necessary tools and preparation
To create a beautiful style in your garden, you need to take care of the availability of specific tools in advance:
- Pruning shears
- Garden knife - needed to trim the shoots
- Brush cutter - useful for forming a crown
- Saw - needed to eliminate excess thick branches
- Delimbers - used for remote pruning of branches
If you first decided to create a topiary on your site, then you should not immediately take up the development of complex figures. It is best to start acquaintance with this art with the simplest figures: a cone, an oval, a ball.
But before you start work, you need to create a sketch plan to have a clear idea of what you need to get as a result of the work. You can find out about haircuts in the country.
You should also check all the tools: they must be in good condition, in good condition, sharpened and capable.
If you are no longer a beginner in this matter, and decided to decorate the garden with more intricate figures, then frames made of steel bars will be of great benefit. This tool has recently been used in topiary and serves as an assistant for creating more complex ideas.
Experts also recommend that gardeners be patient, because complex geometric shapes are not created so quickly, sometimes it may take more than one year to achieve the final result.
Features of creating complex shapes
Decorative bush cutting includes several stages of creating a composition.
- First you need to create a wire frame of the desired shape, in which the selected plant is placed. As it grows, shoots and branches can go beyond the framework, for which you need to closely monitor. All unnecessary details are cut off even at that moment if on the opposite side the branches have not yet reached the frame.
- It may take several years for the bush to grow to a certain shape, and throughout this time you need to monitor its shape and trim from different angles. As soon as the plant reaches the shape that was intended, the corset is removed from the wire, and you just need to take care of the resulting figure.
- To create complex decorative figures and sculptures, stationary patterns are used that are not removed, but with the help of steel rods are connected to the plant and remain so to give it the necessary shape.
- To create particularly complex shapes, special fillable templates are used in which the plant develops. Most often, such structures are filled with sphagnum moss and peat, and creeping plants are planted on them, for example, most often it is ivy. However, the creation of such complex figures requires certain skills and abilities, as well as great experience, since they require careful care.
Topiary and bushes
Tricks and methods of topiary
If you decide to do improvement and create an original landscape on the site, then you need to know the methods and techniques of topiary shrubs.
- So, deciduous trees are pruned once a year in the spring, until the buds have blossomed. Due to last year's branches, they increase their volume by 5 - 10 cm.
- But the plants used to create hedges must be trimmed several times during the year. The first curly cutting of bushes must be carried out before budding, leaving 5 cm of growth since last year. The next haircut is made to the level of the first.
- If the hedge is built using coniferous shrubs, then you should know that you can not strictly trim the shrub vertically from the sides, since they need to taper slightly to the top. If this is not done, then the lower part will very quickly remain without needles.
- Mowing plants is carried out from the bottom up. Also, do not forget that your figures and hedges are made up of living plants, which means they need regular feeding with vitamins and water.
- In order for the crown of the plant to be magnificent and attract the eye with its density, it is recommended that young plants be pruned quite abundantly. It is best to use a garden knife or pruner for this.
Beautiful decorative bush cutting can be carried out not only by specially trained professionals, but also by you personally on your own site. One need only attach a little patience, attention and imagination. Heather lovers will find this material useful.