We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The idea of planting spicy gardens has been around for many years. It is easy to understand the reason, because spicy aromatic plants have been cultivated everywhere since ancient times due to their healing properties. Information about their application is confirmed in treatises of different times and peoples. The ancient Greeks used anise, fennel, caraway, thyme, mint, coriander and other plants for various purposes. From them were prepared potions, food, balms, aromatic oils and incense. In the Middle Ages, such plants were necessarily grown in monasteries.
Pharmaceutical gardens, vegetable gardens with medicinal plants, vegetable gardens for growing herbs, vegetables and fruit crops for cooking stood out by their purpose. Aromatic herbs and flowers, fragrant and medicinal plants grew in drugstore gardens. These plants have always been associated with mysticism and symbolism.
Currently, such gardens are also quite popular and useful: it is very convenient to have natural, fresh plants with a lot of useful and healing properties on their plot.
Spices on a summer cottage
Which plants to choose
In addition to its healing properties, most aromatic plants are also distinguished by their decorativeness, colorfulness and ability to decorate any area. All plants can be divided into groups:
- medicinal (chamomile, valerian, St. John's wort, mint, sage);
- enhancing appetite (anise, basil, rosemary, cumin, thyme, parsley, coriander);
- tea herbs (mint, oregano, lemon balm);
- aromatic (lavender);
- fragrant (echinacea, yarrow, anise lofant, monarda).
Now there are many different decorative varieties of spicy herbs that differ in aroma and bright color. We recommend that you read the material on the prairie garden.
And how to choose from the variety that suits you?
- Thyme has a wonderful aroma, a variety of species and varieties. It is often considered an indispensable garden plant. It grows very quickly, forming decorative and dense pillows, which in July are covered with purple inflorescences. All kinds of thyme are very good ground cover plants, they look very good in the foreground, and also as a filling plant. Some thyme varieties are distinguished by golden, silver or white-edged foliage, which will add color to your garden.
- The second plant is sage. This is a long flowering, ornamental perennial with erect shoots, beautiful foliage and spike-shaped inflorescences. The most dense color canvas is characterized by oak sage, whose varieties have different blue shades. Meadow sage blooms in the first half of summer with pink and blue-violet flowers. Bushes of hyssop officinalis are ideal for decorating borders, and clary sage for the back tier.
- Fragrant Rue - a perennial shrub with curly foliage of bluish-green color and small yellow flowers. Well suited for borders, responds remarkably to a haircut.
- A very branched bush of oregano has pink-purple corymbose flowers, which during flowering form a beautiful and bright spot.
- With a wonderful aroma, the monarda has an interesting color and thick foliage, which during flowering creates very bright and dense spots.
- Echinacea purpurea is not particularly distinguished by its aroma, but it is famous for its medicinal properties and decorativeness, because it has a good bush structure and a long flowering time. Large inflorescences of Echinacea attract the attention of butterflies.
- Anise lofant is not yet so popular in our gardens, but its dark green leaves, spike-shaped inflorescences of various colors create colorful compositions. Lofant releases essential oil, which is captured even at a great distance.
- A decorative-deciduous plant is wormwood, which has a special smell and cirrus foliage. Wormwood has different shapes and sizes (from 20 cm to 1.5 m). Openwork foliage is distinguished by a variety of shades of silver-green and gray shades.
- Basil is a representative of the mint herb family, used as a seasoning in cooking. Fresh basil has a characteristic aroma and green leaves. But there is also an opal form of basil, characterized by purple leaves. Basil is a highly branched plant whose leaves are oblong-ovate.
- Mustard salad or leaf - this is an early ripe annual cold-resistant plant that has yellow small flowers collected in a spike-shaped inflorescence. Mustard leaves are used fresh for salads and as a side dish for meat dishes. They can also be canned, boiled and salted. Leaf mustard is characterized by anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, "ability" to stimulate appetite. It contains a lot of vitamins, ascorbic acid, rutin.
- Cilantro or coriander - a herbaceous plant (annual), belongs to the umbelliferous family. The stem of the plant is bare and erect, reaching a height of 40-70 cm, with a branched upper part. His flowers are white or pink, small in size, arranged with umbrellas. The fruits are widely used as a spice for flavoring, fortification of canned fish and meat, pickles, cheese, sausages, bread. Leaves are used in salads, as well as seasoning for meat dishes and soups. It is also an excellent honey plant. Coriander is recommended for stomach and catarrhal diseases.
- Lemon mint, beekeeper, lemon balm - this is a herbaceous essential oil perennial plant. Its stem is branched, as is the rhizome. Leaves are ovoid, petiolate, opposite, pubescent. Mint is grown due to its oval leaves, which, after grinding, have a pronounced lemon smell. As a spice, this plant goes well with different types of meat, game, mushroom dishes. Its fresh leaves are used in the preparation of soups, vegetables and sauces. Often, lemon balm is added to milk or cottage cheese to improve the smell. Melissa helps with indigestion, some types of asthma, anemia, helps to improve metabolism, relieves insomnia and migraines, is indicated for a general loss of strength. Healing alcohol tincture is made from lemon balm, and juice is used to heal wounds.
- Parsley is the most famous spicy culture, often growing in areas of our gardeners. This is a small genus of plants. The petals are yellow-green or white with a reddish tinge at the base. Parsley is used in dried, fresh and even salty form. Parsley leaves - an excellent addition to salads, root vegetables and leaves - to soups, side dishes, fish dishes. In medicine, parsley seeds are widely used, which are famous for stimulating, choleretic and diuretic actions.
- Celery is a vegetable, spicy plant, which has more than 20 species. It has dark green, shiny, long and fleshy leaves, brownish or yellow-white root crops. All parts of the plant are used in salads, drinks, first, second courses and sauces. Stems help with diseases of the kidneys and gall bladder. In medicine, it is used as a diuretic.
- A long-standing large genus of herbaceous plants and shrubs is sage. In dried and fresh form, sage is used to create aroma and taste for dishes of fish, meat, poultry, gives a unique flavor to pies, salads and tea. Sage is famous for its disinfectant and anti-inflammatory effects, often used for rinsing and compresses.
Flower bed with herbs
Where to plant spices
The undoubted advantage of herbs is their unpretentiousness and undemanding care.
To grow good and strong plants, first of all, you need to choose a lighted place. Grass grows faster in the sun. Soils are preferred well-drained, light and loose. Do not use a large amount of organics. Perennial herbs may require fertilizing with complex fertilizer, as well as pruning in the fall. You can read about country-style garden material.
Annual and thermophilic plants are best grown using seedlings, and cold-resistant plants are sown in the ground.
Spicy herbs in the garden will look good at the gazebo, in the barbecue area, at the entrance, in places where people often stay. So it will be possible to inhale their healing aroma more often.
We grow a spicy garden
Spices in landscaping
There are different options for planting spices in landscape design, one of which, undoubtedly, will appeal to both gardeners and the possibilities.
- The classic version, which means geometric layout. Decorative gardens and gardens most often gravitate precisely to this option. Such a composition can be both the center of a decorative garden and a small fragment of it. In such cases, the site is divided into sectors: rhombuses, squares and triangles, where plants are planted. A small flowerbed will look good in the center; hyssop or barberry is suitable for borders.
- Fragrant track. This is a somewhat modest option for organizing spicy-aromatic herbs when plants are grown in small paving crevices. Such a path should be located in the promenade of the garden, and, creating it, preference should be given to creeping and undersized species: clove-grass, acene, alisum.
- The Mediterranean kindergarten allows you to solve the landscape problem, if you select plants of silver and blue colors. For such an arrangement, lavender, sage, wormwood are suitable. The kindergarten will be an excellent setting for a small reservoir with a fountain.
- A portable garden is a great option if there is no room for herbs on the plot. In this case, they can be dropped off in large containers or flowerpots. Such a garden makes it possible to grow heat-loving crops (rosemary, lavender, marjoram), which are cleaned in warm rooms for the winter. Such a container garden is very mobile, and this will make it possible to change the design of the garden each time.
The spicy garden is a magnificent decoration of the site, which also brings undoubted benefits.
The variety of plants, their medicinal and decorative properties allow you to experiment, choosing what you need.
Spicy gardens and gardens (20 photos)